Thursday 4 August 2011

Introduction

Hello, and welcome to my new blog.  My old blog, which has been silently mouldering over at Livejournal for the last, er, seven months had outlived its useful life.  The blog took me through about seven years of my life, from the end of highschool, through my undergraduate degree, my Master's degree, moving in with my boyfriend, and getting my first real job.

It feels like its time for a fresh start.  A more mature, urbane sort of blog.  That first job I just mentioned, a clerical position which allowed me to continue working in the library of my much beloved alma mater, came to an end yesterday (being a mat leave cover only).  Now I find myself with just under a month before I must move out of the apartment I've shared with my partner, Tim, for the last two years.  In just over a month, we will be packing up a selective version of our shared library and leaving the continent.

This is where the title and URL come in.  Having always intended to return to school and begin a PhD this fall (because I love school, despite the stress, and very much want to make a career in the Academy), I knew we would be moving.  What I did not know was that the university gods would smile down on me quite so vociferously and allow me to be accepted into the University of Oxford's English DPhil (not PhD - it's special that way).  So, we are moving to Britain, to Oxford, and will stay there for the next three years while I beaver away on my dissertation on the Bronte family and their representations of masculinity.

I'm not good at remembering to take pictures, but for the sake of the blog, I will try.

So, I expect that this blog will contain much about Oxford and doctoral studies, with a smattering of talk about novels written and books read and any travel I may happen to undertake in the next few years.

Yours very sincerely,
Erin (not yet) at Oxford

No comments:

Post a Comment